I need a Dia de los Muertos mix
I have been invited to a party this weekend to celebrate the Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos). The host is a corporate goth in the finance world. And I have been asked to bring some music — anything with Day of the Dead sentiments or spooky undertones.
I’ll be honest, I’m much more familiar with Halloween tunes than songs for Day of the Dead, but I suspect there is some overlap.
I have a bunch of songs already, but I am open to suggestions if you have any.
Here are some that I’ll be including on the mix.
1. Tuxedomoon’s classic song “No Tears.” This song should be omnipresent during October, but sadly it is not.
2. Anything by Fever Ray (I’m toying with doing my makeup the same way for the party). Their first single was the very eerie “If I had a heart.” People say that it is about post-partum depression. But, the dark ambiance of the song is perfect for this season.
3. Kate Nash — Skeleton Song
4. Screamin’ Jay Hawkins is a must. Maybe, “Whistling Past the Graveyard.”
5. Jill Tracy has great tunes for this time of year.
6. Misterio– Vampirella
7. Jessie Evans — Ninos Del Espacio
8. Oingo Boingo — Dead Man’s Party
9. Austra — Spell Work
10. Voltaire — Dia de los Muertos
11. Zola Jesus — Vessel
12. Jorge Reyes — Comala
14. Skeletal Family — Trees
15. Johnny Cash — Ain’t No Grave
16. Wild Beasts- The Devil’s Crayon
17. Foetus — Time Marches On
Sugar Skulls courtesy of Glen’s Pics.